Re: Timed tracks

As a member of the accessibility task force I'm a bit surprised to learn
that we're still formulating requirements for captions. Who is working on
this, have I completely missed something on the mailing list and when is
it scheduled to be put forward to the HTML WG?

About WebSRT, I agree that it's final home should perhaps not be in HTML5,
but expect that when we get around to implementing <track> we will support
WebSRT in both test and final implementations. Unless <track> explicitly
forbids supporting some specific formats, I can't see a strong reason to
do otherwise. This is not the official position of Opera Software (it has
none), just mine.

Philip

On Fri, 07 May 2010 00:32:31 +0800, Geoff Freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
wrote:

> Hi, Ian:
>
> I'm quite concerned that WebSRT has been inserted into the HTML5
> editor's draft (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/video.html#websrt ) when it
> hasn't been discussed in the accessibility sub-group.  There isn't any
> evidence, nor has there been any consensus as far as I know, that this
> format is appropriate or fulfills any requirements for captions or
> subtitles- requirements which are now being formulated by the group but
> are not yet final. My immediate opinion is that the introduction of
> WebSRT in this manner will only cause confusion:  readers may take its
> inclusion as an indicator that this format has W3C endorsement and is on
> an approval track, and therefore can be used in test implementations.
> In a field that is already overrun with timed-text formats, this will
> only serve to confuse the situation further.  In fact, it could be very
> difficult to reverse later.  In the interest of not displacing or
> damaging the work being done by the accessibility sub-group, I think it
> would be best to remove all references to WebSRT from HTML5
> documentation at this time.
>
> Geoff Freed
> WGBH/NCAM
>

> On 5/5/10 5:10 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>>
>> while I appreciate your enthusiasm and time that you're spending on this
>> issue, I'm surprised to see that you're incorporating a new captioning
>> format in the HTML5 specification without discussing about it.
>
> We've been discussing this for close to a year now.
>

>> imho, the HTML5 specification shouldn't attempt to define a new
>> captioning for video:
>>  http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/video.html#websrt
>
> It's not a new format; it's the format used by SubRip, with minor
> extensions to handle features that were found to be needed during
> research (such as vertical text, ruby, and karaoke).
>
> --

Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer
Opera Software