Re: document.load: History and a proposal

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>>> I haven't avoided the sync API here, but I'd be glad to remove it if
>>> browser vendors are not going to support it / are going to remove support.
>>> As written, the spec can have the sync aspects easily removed.
>>
>> Does webkit not support synchronous document.load already? If not, I'd
>> be happy to attempt to remove it from firefox and see what shakes out.
>>
>> I'd also love to remove document.load entirely, but I'm less confident
>> that is doable. Does anyone have data? At the very least I'd like to
>> restrict document.load to not work on displayed documents, i.e.
>> documents with a defaultView != null.
>
> WebKit doesn't have document.load at all.  This is one of WebKit's
> biggest compat problems.  I don't know whether the compat issues are
> coming from the sync or async versions.

Disregarding what the HTML5 spec says (since we can always adjust the
spec to match reality), how has webkit planned on dealing with this
issue? If it's one of webkits biggest compat problems, I would have
imagined that you'd want to take some form of action?

/ Jonas