Re: ISSUE-4 (html-versioning) (vs. ISSUE-30 longdesc)

On Feb 28, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 28.02.2010 18:55, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> 1) It seems to me that documents with an HTML4 doctype can already be
>> distinguished from ones with an HTML5 doctype. In fact, conformance
>> checkers are explicitly allowed to defer to an HTML4 validator if
>> they
>> see an HTML4 doctype. So examples of requiring HTML4 constructs
>> that are
>> invalid HTML5 would not be helped in any way by adding an explicit
>> version indicator to HTML5. Now, there may be other problems with
>> this,
>> such as not allowing HTML4 to be sent as text/html (depending on what
>> ultimately happens with our IANA registration). But that problem is
>> not
>> resolved by changing the set of allowed DOCTYPE strings to include
>> ones
>> with an explicit HTML5 version indicator.
>
> That assumes that we actually resolve the media type registration so
> that the HTML4 vocabulary stays valid.

I don't know what will happen with that. But it seems like a separate
question to whether HTML5 itself has an explicit version indicator. In
particular, adding a version indicator to HTML5 will not by itself
have any effect on whether it is conforming to server HTML4 as text/
html.

Regards,
Maciej