Re: request for guidance: centralized extensibility for HTML5 using X3D graphics

On Feb 23, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> So you are requesting the HTML5 mandate (or at least recommend)
> WebGL as a standard technology?  Or that the X3DDOM be a standard
> part of the HTML5 DOM?
>
> I guess I don't understand exactly what you are asking of this
> working group.

I think Chris is not requesting any change to HTML5's current
requirements. WebGL already has an independent specification. It will
have exactly the same standing as the canvas 2D graphics context,
which will also soon be found in an independent draft (except that it
happens to be maintained by a different standards organization).

If I understand Chris correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong),
his position is that WebGL is the right piece of 3D technology to add
to the Web platform at this time, and once it has seen some
deployment, we should consider whether we can also define a simple
declarative 3D format that integrates with Web technology. None of
this requires any immediate changes to HTML5.

Regards,
Maciej