Re: aftermath on Bug 8953 – URL decomp. IDL attributes when parsing fails

On Feb 18, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> In this case it would mean removing the special case in step 3 of
> Section 2 of <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/href/draft>. So, instead of:
>
> "If w begins with either of:
>
>    * a string matching the <scheme> production, followed by "://"
>    * the string "//"
>
> then percent-encode any left or right square brackets (U+005B, U
> +005D, "[" and "]") following the first occurrence of "/", "?", or
> "#" which follows the first occurrence of "//".
>
> Otherwise, percent-encode all left and right square brackets."
>
> it would simply be:
>
> "Percent-encode all left and right square brackets."

I believe percent-encoding all square brackets will break processing
of web addresses with an IPv6 IP address as the hostname. It needs to
at minimum not percent-escape them when they delimit the allowed
syntax for a URI authority IPv6 address.

I suspect the URL you mentioned fails only as an accidental side
effect of trying to handle IPv6 addresses correctly.

Regards,
Maciej