Re: CfC: Publish HTML5, RDFa heartbeats and Microdata, 2D Context and H:TML as FPWDs

Martin Kliehm wrote:
> On 10.02.2010 17:26, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> This is a Call for Consensus (CfC) to publish new revisions of the
>> following documents in accordance with the Working Group Heartbeat
>> requirements:
>>
>> HTML 5: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/
>> HTML+RDFa: http://dev.w3.org/html5/rdfa/
>>
>> and to publish as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD) the following
>> documents:
>>
>> HTML Microdata: http://dev.w3.org/html5/md/
>> HTML Canvas 2D Context: http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/
>> HTML: The Markup Language: http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/
>> http://dev.w3.org/html5/html4-differences/
>
> I personally support the publication of the revisions of "HTML 5" and
> "HTML+RDFa". I also support publication of "HTML: The Markup Language".
>
> Concerning HTML Microdata I share Julian Reschke's concerns and support
> his proposals.
>
> While I generally agree that the Canvas 2D draft content will block the
> HTML 5 draft from advancing to the next level and should therefore be
> split off, I formally object the publication of the aforementioned
> Canvas 2D document as First Public Working Draft (FPWD) because I have
> serious concerns regarding a consensus within the group and
> accessibility of the Canvas element.
>
> a) Doug Schepers and Eliot Graff published a split-off in October [1]
> that hasn't been reflected in Ian Hickson's work. Obviously the group
> disagrees here, and I haven't seen any efforts to find a consensus.
> While a consensus is not officially required for publication as a FPWD,
> I certainly do now want Google and Microsoft drift off in different
> directions. I would suggest trying to merge the two documents first or
> at least I would like to see some dialog evolve publicly between the
> factions.

Martin: while I share you hopes... I must ask: are you personally
stepping forward and saying that you will do the work of merging these
two documents?

> b) Accessibility support in Canvas does not exist at all. The HTML
> Accessibility Task Force currently is working with several browser
> vendors on proof of concept implementations to enable usage with
> assistive technologies. Publication as a separate Working Draft is
> giving a wrong signal of maturity and should therefore be postponed
> until the task force proposes an adequate solution.

There are a number of issues that will block progress to final Rec,
including but not limited to the following:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/open

The way we handle other issues is that we mark the status in the
document itself:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-canvas-element.html#the-canvas-element

Are there other places in the document(s) that you feel that this
particular concern should be noted?

> Oh, and I have a question regarding the process: when we speak about
> silence as "no objection," is Good Standing [2] required to be eligible
> in the CfC? And if this would be a requirement, where is the majority of
> the 406 group participants [3] during the weekly telcons?

See:

http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#participation

In particular "There is no minimum requirement for other Participants".

> Regards,
>   Martin Kliehm
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/canvas-api/canvas-2d-api.html
> [2] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/groups#good-standing