Re: ISSUE-30 counter-proposal

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Here's a counter-proposal for ISSUE-30:
>
> == Summary ==
>
> The longdesc="" attribute does not improve accessibility in practice and
> should not be included in the language.

> * Users that try to use longdesc="" find it doesn't work ("Who uses this
> kind of thing? In my experience [...] it just didn't work. There was no
> description.") [http://www.cfit.ie/html5_video/Longdesc_IDC.wmv].

Ian, the above hypothesis is not entirely supported by the video footage
from the CFIT website. [1]

The test participant (after making the above statement) does then go
onto acknowledge that certain people /would/ find it useful if trying to
understand the layout of the periodic table for example. So there is
more to this footage than the above quote implies.