RE: "image analysis heuristics" (ISSUE-66)

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Sigh.  I'm a contradictory jerk?  Really?
>
> Dude, I didn't contradict myself.

Really? Then why didn't you actually correct the impression that Aryeh
suggested by saying it was in fact not 100% accurate? Why didn't you say
that the thread was favoring removal of the text and point to UUAG, a
position you found acceptable?  Instead you essentially agreed with his
dismissive and insulting characterization - thus prompting Ian to make the
unacceptable change he did. Comments about suffering in hell for eternity
and having God follow specs *is* being a jerk, especially in a forum where
others can read/hear those comments. If you were on a public transit bus and
somebody started talking very loudly using similar types of commentary, you
too would likely think the person(s) to be jerks.

> I think that removing the specific
> technology reference and pointing to UUAG is acceptable (not
> necessarily required, but acceptable).  Aryeh's summary doesn't say
> anything against that.

No, it doesn't say anything really. It simply makes fun of alternative
points of view without actually adding anything constructive to the
discussion. Yet at the same time it appears to be the basis of the change
made by Hixie.

> And I really think that *was* an accurate summary.

Perhaps of 'perceptions', but not of next-steps moving forward - which I've
documented earlier - showing that the majority were in agreement of removing
the text and pointing to UAAG. Unless you can provide evidence to the
contrary...

> It's what I got
> out of the discussion, at least, and I read every message that comes
> through this list.

As do I on topics concerning accessibility - you can slug it out all you
want on draft-abarth-mime-sniff and RDFa/Microformats and what-have-you. I
have no horse in those races, and refrain from commenting.

The larger issue however remains - Ian asked two people in IRC for their
opinion(s)/recollections and made a change based solely on that.

> So, seriously, tone down the rhetoric and insults.  It's not helpful.

Nothing I have said is rhetorical - I have stated facts as I and what I
believe others see them.

If you are offended by my characterization of that particular IRC discussion
thread, by stating that the participants were being jerks, then perhaps you
and Aryeh should think twice before tossing off comments like that. Whether
or not you are actually a jerk (and I really have no reason to believe you
are) is less the issue than the impression you left. If you cannot see how
those comments could be construed as offensive and belittling to others who
have entered this discussion with pure heart and higher motives, then you
are (IMHO) missing an important part of the larger discussion. It's about
respect, and to expect it you must also give it.

JF