Re: suggestion for abolition of <hgroup>

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> For this markup:
>
>   <hgroup>
>    <h1>HTML</h1>
>    <h2>A markup language for the Web</h2>
>   </hgroup>
>
> ...a rule to style the subheading would be:
>
>   hgroup > h2 { ... }
>
> In practice there's no need for a generic solution since the author of the
> CSS also controls the markup.

This isn't true in general.  For instance, web applications often
allow admins to freely add CSS rules, but make it harder to edit the
HTML output.  In MediaWiki, wiki CSS can be edited via the web
interface, while most HTML output can only be changed by hacking the
code.  In a lot of other web software, you can change the HTML through
the web interface, but it's a hassle, because you have to merge
conflicts when you upgrade, which isn't necessary for CSS due to its
cascading nature.

However, I can't think of a realistic scenario where the author of the
CSS is not *aware* of the HTML.  If you don't know whether you need
hgroup > h2 or hgroup > h3, you also don't know whether you need
div.subtitle or any number of other things.  You don't know whether
there will be one subheading or many.  Etc.