Re: method for providing programmatically associated long description

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:10:12 +0200
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Steven Faulkner, Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:22:01 +0100:
> BTW
> what I have suggested is not a standardized feature, just an example
> of how to code a programmatically associated long description.
>
> I consider it a requirement for HTML5 that standardized language
> feature (attribute or element)for providing aprogrammatically
> associated long description is specified.
>
> Whether it be an improved longdesc or something else,I don't mind,
> but I don't consider longdesc as specced and implemented is good
> enough.

Your proposal bear in itself the potential of being a standardized
feature: if we added rel="longdesc" to HTML5, then <a> and <area>
elements could  be used to link to long descriptions.

As for specifically @longdesc, then I created a some tests to compare
it against your image map idea for the same purpose:

http://malform.no/testing/longdesc/

Conclusion: It is doable and seems to be more cross-screenreader
compatible than @longdesc. (In the past, I have also created a
simplisticc javascript based @longdesc demo  this test suite does not
use javscript.) But it far from perfect and not simple to get to work.
In order to make it work, I had to use ARIA. I also had to use @shape
and @coords on the anchor element (not permitted in HTML5, as of yet.)
--
leif halvard silli