Re: ISSUE 30 @longdesc use cases

On 24 Aug 2010, at 10:39, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 24.08.2010 02:31, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> There was no way, prior to hidden="", to initially hide the application
>> page (which is useless until the user is logged in). Authors used
>> display:none to fake this, but that has poor accessibility results; for
>> example, it means any user agent without CSS support would see the content
>> that was intended to be hidden.
>
> So do you expect UAs to be released that do not support CSS but *do* support the new hidden attribute?

If it gets standardized and UAs like Lynx continue to be developed, why wouldn't we expect this?

Note the very same advantage applies to UAs that implement CSS but allow users to reject the author's CSS, a critical accessibility feature exposed by some popular browsers (e.g. Firefox and IE).

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis