Re: Polyglot Markup/XML encoding declaration

On Aug 1, 2010, at 6:57 PM, Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> On 2010/08/02 9:05, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>
>> On Aug 1, 2010, at 12:55 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>>> Lachlan Hunt, Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:30:02 +0200:
>
>>> Just make a validator which does.
>>
>> The original premise of the polyglot spec was to describe a type of document that is valid as both HTML5 and XHTML5, and works sufficiently the same both ways. Thus, it does not match the original goals to have a construct that is valid in polyglot documents, but invalid in at least one of HTML5 or XHTML5. Indeed, Lachlan already pointed this out:

> So by definition, a validator for polyglot documents would validate with an XHTML5 validator and with an HTML5 validator, and the result (assuming true means "pass") would be the intersection of the two results.

The group's current thinking, if I understand correctly, is to actually make polyglot a subset of this intersection. Specifically, the subset would be limited to documents that not only are valid both ways, but also mean approximately the same thing, in the sense of producing the same DOM. For example, the following document is valid as both HTML5 and XHTML5:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>Test</title>
</head>

> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to construct such a validator, it depends on the availability of validators for HTML5 and XHTML5, and on their interfaces, but in principle, it shouldn't be too difficult.

In fact, validator.nu already has a "Polyglot" preset which checks both ways.

Regards,
Maciej