Re: ISSUES 90, 91, 93, 96, 97 -- if you support these change proposals

Hi Shelley,

>> Others in the accessibility task force seem to agree with you too as
>> they voted against the resolution.
>>
>> Jon Gunderson, who is an a11y task force member and the Assistive
>> Communication and Information Technology Accessibility at the
>> University of Illinois said on the survey [1]:
>>
>> "I think the more we can simplify HTML 5 elements the easier it will
>> be to get HTML 5 and accessibility implemented and to explain to
>> authors how to create accessible content in HTML5. Browser developers
>> will probably not implement these elements anyway if they don't like
>> them or do it inconsistently. There is a lot in HTML5 and I think we
>> have enough to discuss without spending time on elements that may
>> never be implemented."
>>
>> Jim Allan, who is an a11y task force member, Co-Chair of the User
>> Agent working group and webmaster at the Texas School for the Blind
>> commented [1]:
>>
>> "Creation of orphaned, poorly implemented or non-implemented elements
>> is not the goal. Having rich semantics that do not require an
>> accessibility api to function (not all people with disabilities use
>> AT) is laudable. But, only if implemented. Current implementations -
>> 0, aria workarounds - 5.
>>
>> I agree with both Jon and Jim.
>
> I could wish both Jon and Jim would respond here, too.

I don't know if they keep up with reading this HTML Working Group
list. But I've included them on this email. Hopefully they will reply
with additional thoughts if they have them.

>> You have pointed out specific and detailed accessibility flaws in
>> these elements. The a11y task force has said that they will make these
>> elements better but have no action plan that I am aware of to do so.
>> Nothing is in the Tracker. How are these elements going to be made
>> accessible? I don't have the cycles for it. Who does? How will they be
>> made accessible?
>
> That is a good point, an excellent point.
>
> I'm assuming that someone will be filing a bug for all of these.

I hope it doesn't fall through the cracks.

One of my greatest fears with these elements is that they will turn
out like canvas with accessibility considered after the fact.

>> I have always used the three legged stool approach to web standards.
>> Separate structure, presentation, AND behavior. I have concerns if
>> introducing behavior into HTML is the right direction. Seems like
>> contamination to me...like putting presentational elements in that are
>> hard to get out once they are there.
>>
>> Like you said, behavior is not semantics. It seems like an attempt at
>> a fallacious or booby trapped low-redefinition [2] of the word
>> "semantic".
>
> The more I've written on these, the more puzzled I am at the use of
> "semantic" as a form of universal goodness.

The word has been redefined and spun.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/44061/200404_ftf-proposals/results#xq5