Re: ISSUE-107 Change Proposal: Replace <object> fallback example

<chair hat off>

Hi Ian,

On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I would be happy to add the example Lachlan proposes. I object to
> removing
> the example being discussed. There are a number of examples of
> <object> in
> the spec, covering a variety of different ways of giving fallback:

It seems like some of these examples are not approaches that we should
be recommending to authors. In particular:

> * showing not offering fallback at all
>
> * showing a useless comment typical on the Web, saying that the
> plugin is
>   not installed or is disabled, with no proposed alternative
>
> * showing an honest message equivalent to the useless comment
> mentioned
>   above (this is the one being objected to)

What is the purpose of the above three examples? It seems like they
would only be helpful as examples of what *not* to do.

Are there other examples in the spec that illustrate a poor authoring
practice?

Regards,
Maciej