Re: Change definition of URL to normatively reference IRI specification using a well-defined interface

Hi Larry,

Thanks for chiming in.

On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> There has been some discussion in the HTML working group over how to
> get changes into the IRI spec in IETF, specifically with
> requirements for a better interface for some processing.
>
> Ø  “If we can get agreement to provide an interface roughly similar
> to what Ian proposed…”
>
> Honestly, I thought the IRIBIS document actually had what is being
> asked for here. So I’d like someone else to look & see if they can
> figure out what’s not there that needs to be there, or make specific
> proposals.

I looked at section 7.2 in what I believe is the latest Internet-
Draft: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-07>. That's
the section that defines lenient "Web Address" style processing.

I see a preprocessing algorithm defined, but I do not see definitions
of "parse" or "resolve" algorithms with the inputs and outputs Ian
asked for. In fact, the words "parse" and "resolve" do not seem to
appear in that section. I think the proposal at the start of this
thread is asking for a single term, algorithm, or subsection that has
the requested inputs and outputs in each case, and performs the
intended task (modulo bugs).

>  > I'd really really like to hear from Larry or one of the other
> IRIbis editors whether this basic approach is acceptable
>
> As far as process issues in IRIBIS, please check with the chairs,
> who are currently Ted Hardie and Marc Blanchet for authoritative
> answers.
>
> My current belief is that the IETF IRI WG will  IETF tracker at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1
> , and that the chairs will use the tracker to drive discussion and
> resolution.

That makes sense as an approach to tracking proposed IRIbis changes.
If thethe IRIbis chairs have any guidance that would be welcome as well.

Regards,
Maciej