Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-82 (Profile-Disambiguation), was: ISSUE-82 - profile-disambiguation - Chairs Solicit Proposals

On Apr 7, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 07.04.2010 18:02, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Why not simply remove any and all mention of @profile from the HTML5
>> specification? This way the separate @profile spec that is being
>> developed (right?) has the freedom to define anything it wants. This
>> would put @profile on par with RDFa and Microdata.
>
> I think the answer to this is that the spec still wants to define
> the DOM IDL attribute (which I actually missed when I claimed that
> there was no required implementation behavior).
>
> Thus, we'd still need:
>
> -- snip --
> [Supplemental]
> interface HTMLHeadElement {
>           attribute DOMString profile;
> };
>
> The profile IDL attribute of the head element must reflect the
> content attribute of the same name, as if the attribute's value was
> just a string. (In other words, the value is not resolved in any way
> on getting.)
> -- snip --
>
> I'd be ok with this, avoiding misleading statements about what
> @profile is for, and delegating the documentation to a proper spec.

I asked Ian privately if he'd be ok with this approach, i.e. remove
the description of what @profile is supposed to be for or its intended
syntax. He said he is ok with this, so I encouraged him to make that
change in hopes that this can lead to an amicable resolution.

Regards,
Maciej