Re: Styling Controls (was: native elements versus scripted)

On Apr 7, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Which of the new form elements and declarative elements has Webkit
> implemented? Are they in the nightlies? Is this documented somewhere?

We haven't broadly advertised most of our new elements yet, because
the implementations are mostly in early experimental stage. Here is my
best attempt at providing some info.

New semantic elements with partial support (the main missing piece is
hooking them up to accessibility properly):
     article
     * aside
     footer
     header
     hgroup
     nav
     * progress
     section

I starred the ones that would be affected by the recent batch of
Change Proposals. Note: there has been interest in implementing
figure, details and meter soon as well.

New interactive/embedding elements with significant support:
     audio
     canvas
     video

New input types that are reasonably well supported:
     type=range
     type=search

New input types with partial support (do not yet have final rendering,
styling, accessibility, etc, but in most cases have validation support)
     type=date
     type=datetime
     type=datetime-local
     type=email
     type=month
     type=number
     type=tel
     type=time
     type=url
     type=week

Note, the last category especially is very much a work in progress and
I would not recommend use of those input types in any production Web
content yet.

Regards,
Maciej