Re: native elements versus scripted

Shelley Powers, Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:33:12 -0500:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
  [...]
>> The CSS WG has traditionally shied away from specifying how CSS properties
>> apply to form controls. I think it may be time to revisit that decision.
>> Custom styling of form controls is an important feature, and we will
>> deliver
>> a real benefit to authors if it works in a consistent way across browsers.
>
> Is it time, though?
>
> We have the ability to create custom controls now that are completely
> stylable and without having to introduce potentially dozens or more
> new CSS attributes.

I believe ARIA came about largely because authors were creating their
own custom controls - even in cases when HTML4 already offers controls?
Thus, from that angle, native controls will not stop authors from doing
this. *Unless* it becomes easier to style the native controls. So,
really, if native controls are meant to have benefits, then ... CSS ...

OTOH, if native controls themselves becomes stylable, then the benefits
of the native ARIA semantics of these controls disappears, no? And so
one must use ARIA on the controls, in order to make them accessible ...
--
leif halvard silli