Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Ian Hickson, Fri, 2 Apr 2010 18:54:23 +0000 (UTC):
>   […]
> > RATIONALE
>   […]
> > The same change proposal also suggests a second change, namely to change
> > the syntax to allow multiple comma-separated language codes, even though
> > all but the first would be ignored.
> >
> > User agents do not pay any attention to values after the first.
>
> Incorrect: Except Mozilla browsers (which looks at *all* the language
> tags in the list), user agents do not pay attention to <meta>
> content-language at all when it contains a comma-separated list.

You are correct, I misspoke.

>   […]
> > Even if there was such a need, this feature would be a bad way to provide
> > that information, since it is used in an incompatible way by user agents
> > (the first language, and only the first language, is used to determine
> > processing behaviour -- none of the languages are treated as a target
> > audience language hint).
>
> Some incorrectness. Se note above.

Indeed. I should have said that it was a bad way to provide the
information since it causes user agents other than Mozilla to ignore the
information altogether.

>   […]
> > POSITIVE EFFECTS
> > * Ensures consistency with current implementation usage of the content
> > attribute in the Content Language pragma and with earlier specifications.
>
> Given the incorrectness above, about how UAs use <meta> c-l with
> multiple language tags, the null change proposal fails to have the
> effect of providing consistency with "current implementation usage".

Indeed.

> As for consistency with earlier specifications: That can be verified as
> untrue by looking at *the* earlier specification, HTML4. (Not to talk
> about the HTTP spec.)

I am not sure what you are referring to here. What claim is incorrect?

> That makes up four incorrect claims. I don't think that the WG should be
> asked to vote for something which can be easily documented as incorrect
> claims.

Agreed. I retract the mark II proposal; I shall put forward a third
proposal that is more accurate.

Thank you for your review.