Re: Null change proposal for ISSUE-88 (mark II)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 04.04.2010 00:34, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> > On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 02:00:32 -0700, Julian Reschke
> > <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > The attribute is an HTML attribute, but it's value space is defined by
> > > the HTTP header registry.
> > >
> > > Changing this in general *will* cause objections (yes, those).
> >
> > Please stop the drama. In the ten years it was deployed it was never
> > implemented as HTML4 specified. No wonder its semantics are being
> > changed to match reality.
>
> I was just stating a fact.
>
> The fact that browsers do not implement this doesn't mean it isn't used
> in documents.

Browsers _do_ implement it, contrary to HTML4, which intends it for
servers, who don't implement it. You may wish to recheck your facts.

http-equiv isn't anything to do with HTTP in practice. HTML5 just makes
that clear. Ideally we'd drop the whole attribute, but unfortunately there
are some pragmas that are needed for backwards-compatibility. I agree that
some people will object (indeed, you have already objected). What matters
isn't whether anyone agrees, what matters is that we make the right
technical decisions that are compatible with reality.