Re: ISSUE-96 Change Proposal

Hi, Shelley-

Shelley Powers wrote (on 4/1/10 2:29 PM):
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc>  wrote:
>>  On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Shelley Powers<shelley.just@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>  I was sold. And now you're telling me, this is nothing more than a bridge?
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction#co-evolution explains it
>>  pretty well. It starts out with
>>
>>  "WAI-ARIA is intended to be a bridging technology."
>>
>>  And later says
>>
>>  "It is expected that, over time, host languages will evolve to provide
>>  semantics for objects that previously could only be declared with
>>  WAI-ARIA. This is natural and desirable, as one goal of WAI-ARIA is to
>>  help stimulate the emergence of more semantic markup."
>
> So when can we expect a color picker element in SVG?

Sometime after I leave the SVG WG. :)

That said, we have talked about high-level functional elements in SVG,
to support common use cases.  For example, the Parameters spec (which is
public) and the Connectors spec (for graphs and other uses of logical
connections between element, which I'm still drafting).  Just because
native form controls aren't appropriate for SVG doesn't mean they aren't
for HTML (and using HTML form controls is useful for SVG).

Yes, you can use script+CSS+ARIA to create form controls from <p> or
<li> (textbox, button, dropdown, etc.), but that doesn't mean it's
always the best option or easy enough (even with script libs).  Form
controls are useful, and serve as a baseline for common functionality.

Declarative, semantic markup is good.  Every time I show the new form
controls in an HTML5 presentation, they are a big hit.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs