Re: HTML interpreter vs. HTML user agent

On May 28, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On May 28, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> I saw it.  I suggest you do a little more research on the term,
>>> because Larry is about thirty years ahead of you on that.
>>> See Interlisp.
>>
>> First of all, this is an argument from authority.
>
> No, it is a fact.  A piece of software that interprets the meaning
> of a sequence of statements while reading those statements is an
> interpreter.  The term is applicable to all languages (including
> human languages) and is useful for distinguishing the very different
> requirements/skills of authoring, translating, and interpreting.

Now you're making a different argument. But it's wrong. That is not
what "interpreter" means in the field of computing. This Wikipedia
article is a good  explanation: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter_(computing)
 >.

There are other meanings of "interpreter" that apply outside the field
of computing: <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/interpreter>.
But they don't really apply here. Just as "router" and "bridge" have
non-computing meanings, but applying those meanings by analogy is just
going to be confusing.

> *sheesh*
>
> I am really tired of people using "argument from authority" as
> an excuse for being clueless.

It's not an excuse for being clueless. It's point out that you can't
just say "that's the way it is because I have 50 billion years of
experience building intergalatic flux capacitor widgets". You have to
actually explain why. As a recognized authority you may find this
tiresome, but in a standards body we have to use logically valid
reasoning. No kings or presidents, etc etc.

> You are trying to change a standard
> that is in use by a billion or so people, with tens of thousands
> of deployed applications.  We don't have time to teach you everything
> you have to know in order to not break the world.  Ultimately, you
> are going to have to respect the opinions of the people who implement
> the other 99% of HTML applications that are not browsers.

I'm still waiting for concrete examples from you of how the spec
"breaks the world". All I see from you is a bunch of bluster and
claims that you are a big shot expert so you don't need to justify
yourself, and anyone who disagrees with you must be ignorant.

>>> All of them.  CMSs, maintainers, validators, mash-ups, help systems,
>>> refrigerators, switches, and televisions, just to name a few.
>>
>> CMSs and maintainers are content producers, not content consumers.
>
> Wrong.  Content Management Software does both (import, gateway, etc.)
> and maintenance spiders consume HTML in order to check it.

And why would their import functions require different error handling
rules?

>> Conformance requirements for validators are given (they are allowed
>> but not required to hard stop at parse errors, but if they perform
>> erro recovery they must do so the same as a browser).
>
> Sorry, I was talking about validators that actually validate input.

I guess you're saying that HTML5 validators don't validate input? That
seems like an insult, not an argument.

>> It's not clear to me how a mash-up is an HTML processor. As I
>> understand it, most mash-ups work without any HTML parsing being
>> involved. However, if they were to process HTML, they would be well-
>> advised to do so the same way as browsers, unless they have
>> coordinated an out-of-band agreement with their data source.
>
> See HTML stream transducers, Yahoo! Pipes, or my dissertation.

I see. Seems like these would clearly need browser-compatible error
handling, if they want to work with arbitrary HTML documents on the Web.

>> Help systems should certainly display HTML the same way as
>> browsers; much HTML help content is tested in the browser, and it
>> is commonplace for HTML-based help systems to use a full browser
>> rendering engine.
>
> Some do.  Some use a limited subset of HTML due to same-source
> requirements (translation of documentation to multiple formats
> and human languages).  Others just use HTML snippets.

As far as I can tell, nothing in the HTML 5 spec prevents you from
defining your own subset, or a snippet format. But if you can only
process subsets or snippets then naturally you are not a conforming
implementation.

>> It is not obvious to me how a refrigerator, switch or television
>> would use HTML,
>
> You've never seen a refrigerator with a built-in LCD screen
> that uses hypertext to maintain shopping lists?  I have.

If this is all inside a closed world, it's a walled garden. If it can
consume content from other sources, or produces content for other
sources, then it needs to interoperate.

> Most network switches are configured via a built-in browser.

Really? The ones I have seen that use the Web for configuration have a
built-in Web server that is configured using the administrator's
browser of choice. So (a) they are content producers not consumers and
(b) they need to interoperate with browsers.

> This coming year will introduce a number of televisions with
> built-in media engines (special purpose browsers) for Netflix,
> iTunes, and similar VOD sites.  They all use some form of HTML.

If they can only handle a defined subset inside their walled garden,
then they are not conforming implementations. If they are

>> or why it would have no need to behave in accordance with the
>> existing Web ecosystem.
>
> The existing Web ecosystem changes every month.  Most devices
> don't want to deal with that much dynamism. They want a standard.
> Of the above, only network switches are exposed to the needs
> of general-purpose browsers.

Most systems I am familiar with that use specialized HTML content also
want to enable creating that content using standard tools, and testing
it in an ordinary Web browser. Thus, they need to interoperate.
However, any system that wanted to use a restricted subset would have
to create its own specification for the subset, because there is no
way a general spec can define your subset for you.

>> The only example I can think of is set-top boxes - either they can
>> display general Web content, in which case they must behave the
>> same way, or they display only a restricted set of "walled garden"
>> content in which case they can rely on their own private standards
>> for parsing and display.
>>
>> So at least on initial review, your list does not appear to justify
>> your assertion.
>
> That's because you don't know the field.

Insults are not a substitute for reasoning.

>> Perhaps you can give at least one specific example of a tool that
>> would need to process HTML differently in the presence of errors
>> and explain why.
>
> Look at any of the systems I have personally been involved in
> developing: wwwstat, MOMspider, libwww-perl, Apache httpd, Apache
> Jackrabbit, Apache Sling, Day CQ5, ... none of which are capable of
> conforming to HTML5-as-defined because the definition of conformance
> is behaving like a browser.

Can you give a concrete example of how any of these tools, in the
course of processing or producting HTML, cannot conform to HTML5? Just
one conformance criterion, and a concrete example of why a tool is
unable to follow it.

For some of these pieces of software, I am surprised to hear they
would process HTML at all. I can't see why libwww-perl would do so for
instance and I couldn't find code that does so. Examining the source
code, it seems to do exclusively HTTP things.

>>> I already did.
>>
>> Can you provide a reference please? In the emails I have seen, you
>> have only asserted this, not given an explanation or justification.
>
> I've explained it more than enough times.  I won't do another detailed
> review of the current document until the editor removes the parts
> that are out of scope and otherwise violating existing standards.

I haven't seen any detailed reviews from you, just summary dismissal.
If you don't want to contribute constructively to improving the spec,
then that is your choice.

Regards,
Maciej