Re: algorithmic normative conformance requirements, design principles, etc.

Larry Masinter wrote:
> Specifying conservative authoring behavior at the same time encouraging
> liberal reader behavior is the primary method by which standards writers
> address those real concerns.

This works well if the authors are sophisticated enough to be aware of
the specification.  In practice, that's not the case with HTML.

That said, the current draft does in fact impose all sorts of
requirements on authors while defining what UAs should do if authors
violate those requirements.  So I'm not sure what we're actually
discussing here....

-Boris