Re: Issues with spellchecking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 02:14:43 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> This was discussed on the WHATWG list a while back, you might want to
> look
> that up.
>
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the use case for allowing spellcheck="true" or
>> spellcheck="false" in
>> a subset of an editable region?
>

> Some IDEs, Eclipse for example, allow spellchecking of comments but not
> regular program text.

This could also be solved by having the spellchecker have knowledge about the program syntax just like the spellchecker in Firefox has knowledge to not spellcheck URLs.

> We could come up with a case where a mail app would say
> spellcheck="false"
>> on the quotedext, and spellcheck="true" on the text that the user
>> writes.
>> But it's not obvious how it should behave when the user splits the
>> quoted
>> text and writes some text in between. Also, it's not obvious how it
>> should
>> behave when the user disables spellchecking from the context menu and
>> then
>> enables it again, or how it should behave when the user enables
>> spellchecking for the spellcheck="false" part.
>>

> I agree some of the UI edge cases are difficult to work out, but it still
> seems like a highly useful feature for mail composition.

At least in Opera we're not ready to move from per-document state of spellchecking at this time, and with that in mind, the spellchecker spec is unnecessarily complex.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software