Re: Design Principles

Philip Taylor On 09-05-25 16.36:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> On May 25, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>>> @profile is widespread amongst authors to the extent that Dublin
>>> Core is widespread.
>>>
>>> It is a specified MUST for for anyone using Dublin Core to use
>>> @profile [1]. Interpreting the DC properties as DC properties is not
>>> licensed without it [2]. It is not this working group's task to to
>>> "inform" the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative that they don't need
>>> it. In fact DC has two meta data profiles and @profile is needed to
>>> tell which one to use. So, as far as I am concerned, this principle
>>> has so far not had any effect on @profile, even though it should apply.
>>
>> If that's true, then probably the most applicable principle would be
>> "Support Existing Content."  But I don't think we have evidence from
>> the above that profile is in fact used a lot. Sounds like it could
>> be, depending on how much Dublin Core is used and whether authors
>> using DC follow the profile requirement.
>
> http://philip.html5.org/data/profile-values.txt - looks like tens of
> people use @profile for DC.
>
> http://philip.html5.org/data/link-rel-rev.txt - looks like hundreds of
> people use rel="schema.DC".
>
> http://philip.html5.org/data/meta-names.txt - looks like thousands of
> people use <meta name="DC.*">.
>
> So, people don't seem to follow the profile requirement much.

What I said above was based on the DC recommendations from 2008. The
data you are quoting doesn't even contain the newest DC-HTML profile
(from 2008). I have not studied what DC says about the requirement of
@profile in earlier specifications. However, I'll note that "DC" is the
recommended prefix in the 2003 profile [1].  I could not see that the
2008 profile recommends any particular prefix.

As the new DC specification is taken into use, one should expect that it
will be more needed, as linking to DC profile in use is the only way to
distinguish between them.

[1] http://dublincore.org/documents/2003/11/30/dcq-html/
--
leif halvard silli