Re: minutes: HTML WG Weekly 21 May 2009 [draft]

On May 25, 2009, at 4:41 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 May 2009 12:54:00 +0200, Sam Ruby
>> <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>> Non-unanimity is a potential outcome.  But consensus does not
>>> mean  rolling over strong objections, even if expressed by <10% of
>>> the  participants.  The W3C consensus policy is relatively
>>> straightforward:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/background.html#Consensus
>>>
>>> Relative to the current working draft, strong objections we need
>>> to do  one of two things, quoting directly from the above:
>>>
>>> * address all participants' views and objections and strive to
>>> resolve  them.
>>>
>>> * opinions of the minority are recorded in appropriate documents
>>> alongside those of the majority.
>> I haven't checked for differences, but I think it would be good if
>> we all used the latest version of the Process document:
>>  http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#Consensus
>
> There do appear to be substantive differences.  Will investigate.
> Thanks!

For what it's worth, the version I quoted from was the most recent
(2005) version of the Process document. Since "consensus" has been so
much a topic lately, it may help other members of the group to review
the link Anne cited as well. I certainly wasn't up on the details
until I reviewed that section.

Regards,
Maciej