Re: HTML 4 Profile for RDFa

Philip Taylor wrote:
> Hmm, maybe a better example of what I intended is:

> which is well-formed XML and has a clear definition in RDFa-in-XHTML,
> but the defined behaviour is impossible to reproduce in text/html
> (because xmlns:t and xmlns:T (and XMLNS:T) are parsed identically by an
> HTML parser and there's no way to distinguish them afterwards).
>
> RDFa-in-text/html could:
>
> * Assume attributes are all treated as lowercase (breaking <div
> xmlns:T="..." property="T:..."> which works in XHTML);
>
> * Say CURIEs (in both XHTML and HTML) match prefixes case-insensitively
> (breaking compatibility with current implementations);
>
> * Change text/html parsing to preserve attribute case (breaking
> compatibility with current parsers);
>
> * Use some other prefix-binding mechanism (in both XHTML in HTML) like
> prefix="t=... T=..." instead of xmlns:t="..." (breaking current
> implementations and deployed content, but avoiding the mess of parsing
> differences between XHTML and HTML).
>
> I can't think of any other solutions, so something is going to break no
> matter what is chosen.

It's clear that if RDFa is to be used with prefix declarations done with
xmlns, then mixing uppercase and lowercase declarations is not going to
work.

I think restricting prefixes to be lower-case (insert proper Unicode
terminology here) would be acceptable; it's easy to live with, and
avoids introducing yet another prefix declaration mechanism.

BR, Julian