Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-05-21

On 5/21/09 10:09 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Larry Masinter wrote:
>>
>> I am not satisfied with the Sam's suggested "Process for Proposals",
>> as it
>> is at odds with the W3C process, and subject to manipulations that are
>> inconsistent with a transparent open standards process.
>
> Any process is subject to manipulations. That's why we have chairs,
> domain leaders, etc. If you believe that I have been other than
> transparent and open, I ask that you say so now. As to being 'at odds
> with the W3C process'... while I will grant that this working group is
> operating in a novel and unique way, and has done so since well before
> I assumed co-chairmanship, I can find nothing in the W3C process
> documentation that would support such a claim.

"The HTML5 work isn’t using the traditional W3C approach, and will never
use a consensus approach so long as I am editor. Consensus simply isn’t
a good way to get technically solid specifications, and is in any case
basically impossible to achieve in a group with hundreds of participants
such as this one." - Ian Hickson [1]

That statement seems straightforwardly at odds with the W3C process,
where consensus is listed as a core value.

- Rob

[1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2008/11/20/Half-Full#c12273175611