Re: [whatwg] Helping people seaching for content filtered by license

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Out of curiosity, where do the requirements below come from?
>
> "* License proliferation should be discouraged."
>
> I agree that License proliferation is problematic, but it seems to be an
> totally orthogonal issue.

This request came from requests from a number of organisations that I
consulted with, for example Google's license compliance team. It was a
common thread in feedback from open source groups.

> "* Shouldn't require the consumer to write XSLT or server-side code to
> process the license information."
>
> Why single out XSLT? And what has server-side code to do with this?

This requirement originally came form Daniel O'Connor in a blog comment
here:

http://realtech.burningbird.net/semantic-web/semantic-markup/stop-justifying-rdfa

He has since clarified that he means this more broadly that he would like
to minimise the number of times that authors should rewrite parsing code.

> "* Should not require changes to HTML5 parsing rules."
>
> I understand that it's not desirable at this point to change the parsing
> rules, but I have a hard time understanding how it gets into this
> requirements list.

I couldn't find the original e-mail that caused me to add this, but it's
along the same vein as the others; someone requested that we make sure
that microdata solutions not require changes to the core syntax.

HTH,