Re: <link> and <param> in SVG (SVG ACTION-2534)

Hi, Jonas-

Jonas Sicking wrote (on 5/4/09 4:09 PM):

>>>  If you do add this (which I think you should), it'd be nice if
>>>  <svg:link>    and<html:link>    was compatible in more areas other than
>>>  just linking to stylesheets.
>>
>>  Yes, we intend for them to be more or less the same in terms of syntax and
>>  functionality.  What specifically did you have in mind?
>
> The following values seems to have special meaning in firefox for the
> rel attribute:
>
> rel=feed or rel=alternate, specifies location for feed (such as RSS/Atom)
>
> rel=icon, speficies location for urlbar/bookmark icon
>
> rel=search, search engine available on the page
>
> rel=prefetch, url to download in the background, such as for
> precaching resources for the current page or page user is likely to be
> navigating to.
>
> rel=next, same implementation as rel=prefetch in firefox, however has
> a different semantic meaning.
>
> rel=dns-prefetch, dns names to resolve

I would expect SVG to behave the same as HTML (or the defining spec) for
these things.

> There might be more. I think "prev" and "home" are also defined
> somewhere, but we don't currently have an implementation for it in
> firefox. We did at one point use these (and rel=next) to provide
> buttons in the UI for quick navigation, however these were removed for
> various reasons.

Oh, that's too bad!  I've always wanted this functionality [1], and I
think it would be useful.  I'm curious why they were removed.  (I've
made a simply FF extension that does this, and so have others.)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Dec/0067.html (How
cute!  A lil Schepers dipping his toes into the standards pool!
Longwinded as usual...)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs