Re: Naming of <header>

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:40:20 +0100, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Per feedback on the matter, I've renamed <header> to <hgroup> and
> introduced a new <header>.

Does the new header require a h1.. h6 element as a descendent? (Spec says
"A header element typically contains the section's heading (an h1–h6
element or an hgroup element), but can also contain other content, such as
a table of contents, a search form, or any relevant logos." but
"typically" doesn't seem to imply that it *must* contain a heading).

I ask as I recently experimentally redesigned by blog to use html5 and
wanted to give each blog comment a <header> containing the date it was
submitted and the name of the commenter + URL. That was illegal as there
was no h1..h6 element.

Is it now legal?

--

Bruce Lawson