Re: Does anyone like microdata?

Quoting Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>:

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
>

>> The text of HTML5 was all written by me, but I do disagree with several
>> parts of it. These include, but are not limited to:
>
> [...]
>

>> - The inclusion of the microdata section
>
> Does anyone agree with the inclusion of the microdata section?

Yes, I do.

People clearly want to add additional custom metadata vocabularies to
their pages; witness the existing usage of solutions coming from the
microformats initiative. Compared to microformats I believe the HTML 5
microdata offers more consistent parsing rules (a single parser can
unambiguously parse all microdata, allowing features such as automatic
conversion to RDF) and cleaner seperation from the rest of the markup
language. Compared to RFDa, microdata offers a considerably simpler
authoring experience which I believe to be critical to gaining
traction with a large base of users. Thus, despite the fact that
microdata has somewhat fewer features than RDFa I think it will be the
catalyst for more, and more innovative, uses of embedded microdata
than the more complex format.