Re: Things in HTML that I disagree with (Was: evidence of harm)

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Shelley Powers wrote:
>>
>> I would like to see how some of these arguments were coached. Could you
>> point out in whatever mailing list is appropriate, the arguments
>> discussing, say keeping the div element?
>
> I would love to, but I really don't have the bandwidth to do that. If
> anyone would like to volunteer to document such discussions, I'd be happy
> to advise. I really would love it if we could have a wiki or something
> that documented the discussions behind all the decisions in the spec so
> far. Personally though, I feel I must focus on taking HTML5 forward and
> not on the equally large task of documenting how it got where it is.

Then, especially in comparison to your statement about you strongly
disagreeing with the microdata section, we have to assume that no,
there was never a situation where you vehemently opposed an addition
(or deletion) from the HTML5 spec, but allowed the working group to
override your objections.

>> Yes, the web is a messy place. I'm surprised that you're willing to
>> continue on as sole author of HTML 5, if you're so unhappy with the
>> state of the web, and the markup you're being forced to live with.
>
> Making the Web better is more important than my own personal sense of
> aethetics.

But you are applying your own personal sense of aesthetics in your
work. You may not think you are, but every author does. The wise
author is aware of this, and acts accordingly.

Frankly, in my opinion, your sense of aesthetics shows in your
pushback against @summary. You specify it causes "harm", but nobody
has proved that it actually causes "harm". I believe you interpret its
use as harm, because it's misuse offends your sensibilities. Or at
least, that's how I'm interpreting your reaction.

Regardless, the issue of @summary is now being recast as a vote. As
for your listing of the microdata section...well, that I'll take up
separately.

Shelley