Re: Issues of @summary and use of data for "decisions"

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:22:32 +0200, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
>>> It is not okay to  render critical content that is essential to
>>> comprehension via CSS.
>>
>> That's not what I was saying.
>>
>> I said that the contents of <caption> can be hidden from visual users
>> with
>> CSS, should the author be reluctant to include it visually.
>
> Ah. Sorry. You are right. It could. But to me that is a pretty ugly
> work around.

It a technique that accessibility-aware authors are familiar with and
already use to hide e.g. <h1>-<h6> elements.

> I  worry about authorabilty and confused functionality
> (caption and summary serve different proposes).

It would be a bit harder to author (for authors who are reluctant to
include the information visually), yes. But the same technique can be used
for other things on the page, too.

> Simon, you are a member of the PF working group. Have you discussed
> with them whether your solution provides the needed accessibility
> functionality? If so, what was their response?

I haven't.

I've cc-ed wai-xtech.

--
Simon Pieters