Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

Joe D Williams wrote:
> Sorry Adam, I am saying any UA sniffing except the file extension is
> fruitless in the cases of <audio> and <video> given the spec group of
> content types allowed for these elements. In particular, the served
> content type is unpredicable and there is nothing inside the file that
> UA needs to know about before passing this type of file to the handler.

1) I'm not quite clear on the distinction between "UA" and "handler"
that you're drawing here.  Can you clarify what you mean?  In
particular, if you claim that data-sniffing is not needed, then why is
extension-sniffing needed?

2) Sniffing the file extension instead of the content significantly
complicates server-side solutions that, say, send different content
based on query params in the URL.  Of course these should arguably send
a Content-Type header anyway.

-Boris