Re: comments on draft-barth-mime-sniffing

I suspect that the problem is partly economic.  Faces with bug
reports etc. saying "it doesn't work right" we can either explain
endlessly what people have got wrong...or we can sharply reduce the
number of such calls (which cost money) by sniffing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like sniffing.  But I don't think a
stroke of Ian's pen will make it go away.

(It's also odd to have a spec. which bars the user agent from 'going
the extra mile'. Specs classically say all the things you must do to
be conformant, and generally can't stop you from doing more.)

--
Dave Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime 408 974 3162