Re: Disambiguating @summary from a long descriptor

Joshue O Connor On 09-06-11 10.32:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>  I'm suggesting having @summary work exactly as it does
>> now in UAs and maybe adding a less-misuse-prone attribute that we
>> recommend web developers use.
>
> That may confuse the issue even more. As then @summary would probably
> be, by default, used as a long descriptor.

I am "on leave" from the HTMLwg for a month, but I have just
proposed (on Twitter) using <caption role="summary"> to
disambiguate captions from "summary captions". (I hope this
message still reaches the mailinglist ...)

OK, I don't know what role="" value to use - may be
role="contentinfo" or may be something new? (The good thing about
suggesting to use role="" is that WAI-ARIA, which currently has
much of the accessibility attention, can then think about the
issue and specify it better than in HTML 4!)

Test case with discussion: http://malform.no/html5/caption+role

Some advantages I would mention: Extremely compatible with legacy
_visual_ user agents (don't know about screen readers - but one
should think that, with attention ARIA has, that it would be
rather compatible). Plus that authors easily can change to
hide/show such summaries to all users.
--
leif halvard silli