From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Subject: WAI-CG Consensus Recommendations on Alternative Text in HTML 5
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Cc: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>,
Mike Smith <mike@w3.org>, WAI XTech <wai-xtech@w3.org>,
"html5alt@lists.wisc.edu W3C WAI Protocols & Formats"
<w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, "wai-liaison@w3.org" <wai-liaison@w3.org>, John
Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>

Dear Colleagues:

Attached herewith, at long last, is a report we've titled: "WAI
CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5." It is
the result of many long teleconferences and draft documents produced by
members of several WAI Working Groups--and accepted as a consensus
position by the WAI-CG itself. We regret that our process took so long,
but we did do our best to be comprehensive. We believe we've addressed
all of the major concerns and requirements that have been expressed on
behalf of @alt. We hope this report can now serve as a useful basis for
wider consideration, especially with the HTML WG.

This document is also available at the following URI;
http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5

We look forward to working with you to make HTML 5 the best
accessibility solution yet.

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.202.595.7777;
              sip:janina@CapitalAccessibility.Com
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC      http://CapitalAccessibility.Com

Chair, Open Accessibility       janina@a11y.org
Linux Foundation                http://a11y.org