Re: Why Design Principles?

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> 8. == Design Principles that likely should be added ==
>>
>> - Work from Use Cases - This is clearly a key practice, and important
>> to keep in mind to prepare a successful proposal.
>
> Aka Lachy's proposal for a replacement for Cowpaths [2]. Seemingly
> proposed because Cowpaths was not able to get the results that was
> wanted. After all, Cowpaths cannot justify keeping @profile out.
> [2] http://www.w3.org/mid/4A1FE9A0.3020102@lachy.id.au

My suggested replacement for Pave the Cowpaths had nothing do to with
getting the results I wanted, and was absolutely not related to any
position on the profile attribute issue.  The issue is, as I stated in
the linked email, is that the principle is widely misunderstood and
misapplied and needs a name the more clearly conveys its intended meaning.

In fact, in hindsight, even my suggestion (the name of which was
actually originally proposed in the wiki by someone else [1]) doesn't
accurately capture the meaning of the principle.  It sort of does in so
far as it involves looking at what use cases people are trying to
address, but as was discussed in IRC shortly after I'd sent the
aforementioned email, it also involves looking at the techniques people
are using to address them too [2].

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples
[2] http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090529#l-710

--