Re: Design Principles, Section 1.6.1 relationship to HTML 4.01

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 May 2009, Laura Carlson wrote:
> > > Principles that use wishy-washy rhetoric are not principles at all. They
> > > are judgment calls, completely subjective to the personal opinion of the
> > > person invoking the principle or authoring the spec.
> >
> > Welcome to language design.
>
> Ian, in an attempt to make the conversation more productive: I take your
> answer as basic agreement with Laura that the current Design Principles
> document does not meet the goals stated in the Introduction of that document,
> as the goals it sets for itself are basically unattainable.
>
> Is this what you wish to convey?  If not, can you clarify what you do mean?

I think the text in the Introduction of the editor's draft of the HTML
Design Principles as of rev 1.26 is quite accurate, and that the rest of
the text in that document meets the goals set out in the introduction
admirably. I think that it is ridiculous to think that language design can
ever be based on strict objective rules, and I do not think that the
design guidelines claim that this is what is attempted (indeed quite the
opposite). In fact, that's what the term "design principles" means.