Re: Publishing a new draft (HTML5+RDFa)

Ian,

>>> For example, the use of prefixes
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, the use of prefixes is a "personal
>> preferences based on design philosophy" disagreement that you have as
>> you have yet to produce a technical problem with the use of prefixes.
>> How does that feature break UAs?
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "break UAs".
>
> Prefixes are widely documented to be an antipattern in language design.
> For example, see this e-mail:
>
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2009Jul/0125.html
>
> ...where I give a quite detailed analysis of why prefixes are a feature of
> poor language design.

With my RDFa TF and DERI AC Rep hat off I must say I don't understand this.
I indeed took a look at the provided references (interesting) but fail to
see the deeper problem.

Let me step back.

I'm not talking about prefixes/XMLNS now, but about namespaces in the sense
of [1]. In my understanding *every* 'decentralised' language (be it a
programming language such as Java or a markup language such as XML-based
things) needs a mechanism to unambiguously assign global names to locally
defined items. This is the context necessary to deal with the decentralised
aspect: everyone's free to come up with a 'System' class, e.g., in Java -
and you put it in your package, say. org.deri.commons.System, and hence both
machines and humans know, which System class you mean. Same holds true for
XML, RDF, etc. -  this is IMO not poor language design, this is very clever.

Can you please enlighten me what I've been missing? Maybe you're addressing
a different issue as I'm thinking of, but I'd really like to understand this

Cheers,
      Michael

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namespace

--