Re: [free-aria] Re: Seeking feedback on HTML5 video accessibility experiment

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:15 AM, John Foliot<jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:

> (Silvia Pfeiffer) ginger wrote:
>>
>> I'm doing some work for Mozilla on finding the best way to include
>> captions, subtitles, textual audio annotations, and other time-aligned
>> text with the HTML5 video element. Right now, I have an experiment
>> with external srt files that relate to an Ogg Theora video.
>>
>> You will find the details in my blog post. See the demo:
>> http://www.annodex.net/~silvia/itext/ .
>>
>> Note that there is a frquentely called javascript callback that feeds
>> the aria-live region with textual audio annotations that are then read
>> by a screen reader if setup in that way.
>>
>> I would be keen to get feedback, suggestions for imporvement, or bug
>> reports. I'm keen to take this forward as a discussion basis to the
>> WHATWG for a standard in video a11y.
>
> This is exciting and interesting news - Right On!
>
> Silvia, I urge you to take that discussion to the HTML WG mailing list [1]
> (as well as the W3C WAI-xtech list [2]) at the same time as you approach
> the WHAT WG, as a large number of accessibility folk do not monitor WHAT
> WG and it would be a shame to miss out on their feedback.  I have taken
> the liberty of forwarding this note to those lists today, but urge you to
> include those communities in your ongoing quest as well.
>
> Cheers!
>
> [1 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/ ]
> [2 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/ ]

Hi John,

thanks for pointing out those working groups and their mailing lists.

It is actually rather difficult to keep an accessibility discussion to
a single mailing list, since there are so many diverse ones. I am
finding it rather difficult to make sure everyone who should be across
this is.

So, this is encouragement to everyone to forward the discussions to
those that I have overlooked.

Thanks,
Silvia.