Re: PHP code only allowed in XHTML 5?

From: Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:37:13 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 13:05, Lachlan Hunt<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:
>> Breaking that compatibility is, IMHO, a serious error.
>
> We're not breaking compatibility.  PHP never had any real compatibility, in
> the sense you are claiming, with HTML, SGML or XML.  We're just clearing up
> the fiction about PHP itself being conforming HTML, or even SGML or XML for
> that matter.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. Next we'll have users of JSP,
ColdFusion, ERb, Smarty, Django, Haml, WebObjects, Genshi, Active
Perl, ASP, OpenACS, Markdown, Textile and the infinite array of wiki
syntaxes complaining that the HTML validator doesn't validate their
particular templating or markup-abstraction languages. Why should it?
You wouldn't serve it to the browser without transformation, so why
expect the validator to validate it?

If you want to validate something that's not HTML, run the
transformation process to turn it into HTML first.

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/