Re: Fwd: Draft of @summary text for HTML 5 poll

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:55:01 +0100
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html@w3.org, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Steve Faulkner <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Apologies for delay replying. I have been away for a long weekend break.
Thanks to people who did respond to the original text. I agree with
Lachlan that it reads more like a position paper and it is a fair
comment that it initially only shows 'one side' of the argument. I had
thought that others who have different opinions etc would add/edit the
text and a sort of editorial ping-pong would happen. This hasn't really
been the case, although there were some suggestions made to me off list.

Aside from the text issue, a part of the problem is confusion about what
we are actually voting on. This has obfuscated the issue. As far as I am
concerned, this vote was not about engineering a new solution, but
is/was (sic) about re-instating the @summary (as is) into the spec.

Some want this, others don't. For me @summary should stay as is, until a
better solution is found, then by all means obsolete it. There hasn't
been a better solution put forward yet.

While I was away (for all of three days) it seems like my text has been
rejected, and the idea of a poll abandoned, and the whole @summary issue
also seems conflated with a separate (though related) issue about W3C
processes. Thats fast work!

When all things are considered, I think at this point the very idea of a
having a voting/straw poll is moot - and while it may not politically
astute thing to say - this is a waste of time.

'A man changed against his will is of the same opinion still' (Butler) [1]

Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudibras