Re: Submitting comments form within the spec itself

Hi, Ian-

Ian Hickson wrote (on 7/25/09 5:53 PM):
> On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>  >
>>  >  Well, anyone's free to include their name in the comment text, I
>>  >  guess, but it rather takes away from the simplicity of the thing if we
>>  >  start adding more fields to the form.
>>
>>  You may be right. However, I suspect people are quite used to having a
>>  content field plus an optional name field for pretty much any kind of
>>  comment form - blog comments, forum systems, etc. So name+content seems
>>  like an equally reasonable simple place to stop, as just having a
>>  content field. The systems seems pretty good in any case.
>
> Since the output would just jam the person's name into the same field as
> the comment anyway, I haven't added the name field. If anyone wants to
> provide an alternative mechanism for the W3C version of the spec, though,
> please do feel free to do so, including this field if it is considered a
> good idea. That way people have more choice. :-) (The way I did it for the
> WHATWG relies on CGI scripts, which I don't have permission to run on the
> W3C site.)

This is great.  I've been wanting this for the W3C site for a while, but
hadn't gotten around to building it.  Nice interface.  If the source is
available, I'll implement it for the W3C site as well, with a few
modifications, otherwise I'll build it from scratch.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs