Re: Discussion: Accessibility Issues Procedure

"No one from the HTML WG threatens to institutionalize, or for that matter
incarcerate, sterilize, or euthanize either persons with disabilities or
members of WAI. To imply otherwise is inflammatory and insulting."

To characterize my statement as an implication about WG "threats" is absurd.
Of course it's inflammatory but any "insult" is on your part.

"That is what  the demands seem like be because that's what they are." That
you characterize the proposals as "demands" but seem to think that this
makes it true that they ARE "demands" is embarrassing. You are not the
dictator of the semantics of nomenclature. They were clearly "proposals" for
discussion and not lines in the sand which is the implication of "demands".

Whenever things like this come up in other areas, like racial
discrimination, the response is "I never owned any slaves". The whole point
of my rant was that this is a different kettle of fish than JUST technical
matters because of the history of these matters. We still live in a world
where people generate completely pointless systems like <canvas> with NO
thought about their use by blind people and Google's introduction of Chrome
before it was usable by screen readers is a further example.

That @summary came under attack based on shaky premises (little used, not
really useful, etc.) is more evidence that there is a pervasive
insensitivity to accessibility being built in rather than bolted on. I
realize you don't agree and at a younger age I might not have either, but
I've been in this for too long not to be highly (overly?) sensitive to the
slightest incursions into this area.

What you said was that it was "just like any other issue" and my examples
(inflammatory ones, if you will) were to point out that it was NOT like
others because of the history. I've been around this stuff for 50 years and
the lack of historical perspective on the part of almost all members of most
W3 WGs is astounding. When I learned that almost nobody at TPAC had even
heard of Norbert Weiner and very few of Claude Shannon and then met a
Computer Science student who hadn't heard of Tim Berners-Lee the impression
expressed by someone on IRC about "20-something know-nothings" didn't seem
far off the mark.

I regret having fanned your flames, but it's what I do and at my age am
entitled to do. I'm sure if/when we meet you'll find me interesting.

Love.

--
http://www.boobam.org/webgeezermild.htm