Re: Submitting comments form within the spec itself

On Jul 25, 2009, at 1:11 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Are the comment anonymous but publicly visible, or anonymous and
>> confidential?
>
> They look like this:

[snip giant URL]

OK, so they are publicly visible. Looks good to me.

>> I would also prefer commenters are given the option to identify
>> themselves if they choose - for example if they would like an
>> eventual
>> reply, but don't feel comfortable giving their initial feedback by
>> email
>> or through bugzilla.
>
> Well, anyone's free to include their name in the comment text, I
> guess,
> but it rather takes away from the simplicity of the thing if we start
> adding more fields to the form.

You may be right. However, I suspect people are quite used to having a
content field plus an optional name field for pretty much any kind of
comment form - blog comments, forum systems, etc. So name+content
seems like an equally reasonable simple place to stop, as just having
a content field. The systems seems pretty good in any case.

Regards,
Maciej