Re: [HTML5] DOMContentLoaded fires before CSS resources loaded?

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:02:59 -0400
To: Travis Leithead <travil@microsoft.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Jacob Rossi <t-jacobr@microsoft.com>, Kirk Sykora <ksykora@microsoft.com>, Harley Rosnow <Harley.Rosnow@microsoft.com>
Travis Leithead wrote:
> Thanks for that clarification. I'm curious what web compatibility issues motivated the change? Any pointers?

I think http://webkit.org/blog/66/the-fouc-problem/ has a decent summary
of the problem and some of the possible solutions for it, including the
sorts of issues that Webkit was having with the "Don't Stall" behavior
(and which presumably led them to switch to their current behavior).  It
also describes the problems with the "Stall" behavior Gecko used to
have; those are not in terms of web compat but in terms of performance.
  There were also some internal simplifications that were allowed by not
stalling.

Now that Gecko has reasonable speculative parsing and resource prefetch,
we might reevaluate returning to the "Stall" behavior at some point;
we've had a few reports of FOUC-type issues with our current setup in
some edge cases.  It hasn't been a major issue, though, so chances are
we won't be changing our behavior here.

-Boris