HTMLUnknownElement

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:52:16 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
Both Firefox and Opera currently give any HTML element they haven't
heard of the interface HTMLUnknownElement, which to my knowledge is
identical to HTMLElement in all but name.

We are unlikely to remove support for it as sites (most notably Yahoo!
Mail Beta) rely upon its existence.

Anyone from Mozilla able to comment on any sort of intention from their
side?

If neither of us are going to remove it, we probably ought to add it to
the spec, though I'm not sure quite how we'd want to word it, as to
allow future standards (adding, for example, a "kitchensink" element) to
extend HTML 5 with known elements.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon  Opera Software ASA
<http://gsnedders.com/>