Re: change "scientific documents" to "basic hypertext" (detailed review of section 1. Introduction)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 05:31:51 +0000 (UTC)
To: Marco Neumann <marco.neumann@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Marco Neumann wrote:

> This 1 Introduction / 1.1 Background paragraph is wrong, misleading and
> still hasn't been changed
>
> "HTML was primarily designed as a language for semantically describing
> scientific documents, ..."
>
> Please change as requested ASAP into:
>
>  HTML was primarily designed for basic hypertext, ...

The original proposal:

   http://www.w3.org/History/1989/proposal.html

...makes it pretty clear that the project was originally intended for CERN
to manage project documentation. For example, from the second introductory
section ("Losing Information at CERN"):

   The sort of information we are discussing answers, for example,
   questions like
    * [...]
    * Which laboratories are included in that project?

That it quickly grew from that humble beginning to a much more generic
system I have no doubt, but it doesn't seem inaccurate to say that the
original design was for semantically describing scientific documents.

The "semantically" part may be more debatable though. :-)